Supervising Faculty: John Auxier, II
Scott is a South Texas native who grew up in San Antonio, TX. He attended Abilene Christian University for his undergraduate degree in physics with a minor in public service. As an undergraduate, he quickly realized that he was fascinated by the intersection between public policy and science, and so was quickly drawn out of research on nuclear data into research to improve neutron radiation detection instruments for international safeguards. He supported research in this area for 3 years at Los Alamos National Laboratory before moving on to get a master’s degree in nuclear engineering from Texas A&M with research focused on improving the maturity of an active interrogation system for nuclear arms control.
Scott is currently a Nuclear Safeguards Engineer in the Safeguards and Security Technology Group at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in addition to a part-time Bredesen Center student. In this role, he supports systems development for international safeguards, nuclear security, nuclear arms control, and nuclear safety. His PhD work will be focused on applying modern data analytic techniques to international safeguards.
In their spare time, Scott, his wife Elena, and their dog Greta enjoy taking advantage of the many opportunities to enjoy the mountains of East Tennessee.
Data Analytics for International Safeguards
Masters of Science in Nuclear Engineering - Texas A&M University
Bachelor of Science in Physics with Public Service Minor - Abilene Christian University
Awards and Recognitions
- 2016 World Nuclear University Summer Institute Fellow
- 2015 3rd Annual Postdoctoral Research Symposium – Poster Presentation Honorable Mention
- 2014 CSIS Project on Nuclear Issues - Nuclear Scholars Initiative Participant
- 2013-2014 National Nuclear Security Administration Graduate Program Fellow
- 2011 University Scholar at Abilene Christian University
- 2010 Breakfast Optimist Club Exemplary Student Leader in Abilene, Texas
- 2010 Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship – Honorable Mention
- Sigma Pi Sigma Physics Honor Society
- Alpha Chi Honors Society
- Phi Eta Sigma Honors Society
- Pope Fellowship – Abilene Christian University
- Presidential Scholar – Abilene Christian University
Google Scholar Profile: Scott Stewart